Wednesday 14 March 2012

Mee Bakso

I only ever tried mee bakso once at this Indonesian shop near where I used to live. It was a new shop and not very popular in my area as I think people just weren't keen or knew enough about Indonesian food. I can't quite remember what I tasted like but I think I remember hoping to go back to try other dishes.

Anyway, I saw pictures of mee bakso yesterday and also found a recipe. It looked simple enough and it is here.

Chop your two onions and 4 cloves of garlic finely, mix with 400g minced meat (beef, but I used turkey cos cheaper and healthier ), coriander powder and flour. I forgot to buy eggs so left that out.
Roll the meat into balls. I got bored halfway and had to move onto making the soup base.
For soup base: 2 thinly sliced onions  I think onions in SE Asia are smaller, so if you're in Europe, then one onion is quite enough. However, the more the tastier, I think! . Grind 1/2 inch of ginger, 2 cloves of garlic and coriander powder/seeds. Bruise the lemon grass
Fry the onions until golden (this is hard when one has too much onions! They kinda caramelized instead :-/
Then, add your grinded paste and fry until fragrant. Add the lemon grass.

Add water. I added almost 1L and the stock is still quite thick.
Added one.. then two cubes chicken stock (any stock can la!)
Add the balls. I regretted adding the second cube stock cos the meat was gonna flavour the soup even more!
Once the meet is cooked it will rise to the top
Boiled the amount of rice noodles, bean sprouts and lettuce in a separate saucepan with the amount of soup you want.
Serve with soy sauce and chilies (bird's eye if you can handle it)
I enjoyed my mee bakso. Not too sure if it looks or tastes really like mee bakso but the website I got the recipe from had lots of picture and it looks similar. And, I think if you are a fan of garlic, you will definitely like mee bakso!

No comments:

Post a Comment